The Storied life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - Gabrielle Zevin

A. J. Fikry's life is not at all what he expected it to be. His wife has died, his bookstore is experiencing the worst sales in its history, and now his prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, has been stolen. Slowly but surely, he is isolating himself from all the people of Alice Island-from Lambiase, the well-intentioned police officer who's always felt kindly toward Fikry; from Ismay, his sister-in-law who is hell-bent on saving him from his dreary self; from Amelia, the lovely and idealistic (if eccentric) Knightley Press sales rep who keeps on taking the ferry over to Alice Island, refusing to be deterred by A.J.'s bad attitude. Even the books in his store have stopped holding pleasure for him. These days, A.J. can only see them as a sign of a world that is changing too rapidly.

And then a mysterious package appears at the bookstore. It's a small package, but large in weight. It's that unexpected arrival that gives A. J. Fikry the opportunity to make his life over, the ability to see everything anew. (goodreads)

---

I was going to the cashier holding this book last week and an employee said to me that its a good choice. I think, he's right.

What a beautiful story! I really like a story of an independent bookstore in a small island. And when you hear it like that, everybody in the island is involved, everything isn't quite the same way it seems and secrets lurks and just ready to come out anytime soon. A.J.'s life will changed dramatically after he received that gift inside his bookstore. That change that I can't say to you guys and the always smell of books and papers and seaside will transport you to Alice Island.

The writing is very good. Some few humor, some mystery, some reading. It's a fast read. A story that you wouldn't want to end.

Quotes:

“Sometimes books don't find us until the right time.”

---

“People tell boring lies about politics, God, and love. You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book?

recommended!