Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins

Why o why i haven't read this until now?

Probably the same reason others tell, it looked like a typical paranormal young adult sets in an academy with MC as a new girl. Furthermore, it looked like she have some mean girls to counter and a hot boy to fall in love with. A boy with a girlfriend. Yes, you are right.. with one of those mean girls.

GR synopsis:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shape shifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tag-along ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Well.. those are true tho. It wasn't really the most original. While I was reading this one, I caught a bit of a laid-back narration just like the book, The Vampire Academy. Although, the Hex hall houses other creatures too like shape shifters, faeries and witches. I saw flawless writing with secrets hiding in plain sight. I saw cautious mysteries behind every actions of every characters. It was so frustrating and amazing as well. The surprise was waiting at the very end.

Oh and don't get me started with the romance. This type of romantic build-up bought me every time as well as it made me frustrated. Good romantic tension is always the best romance for me. Much much more when the boy have a girlfriend. A bit complicated(and somehow gotten a bit more complicated in the end)and sensitive on how it will work. It wasn't exactly started as simple as love at first sight situation for Sophie and Archer.

More than that, romance isn't really was the biggest revelation and it ended pretty open.

The fast-paced read kept me awake last night until 4 am. There is humor and it made me giggly and snorting. I like witch stories. It always promises dark evil characters and good action.

Quote:

“Both of us widened our eyes and said, "Woah."
Then I immediately blushed. Oh my God, had I just looked at Archer and said, "Whoa"?
But...wait a minute. Had Archer just looked at me and said "Whoa"?”

this girl reading