SPOILER ALERT!

Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert

Season of the Witch - Natasha Mostert

In her award-winning novel, Mostert blends alchemy, the art of memory, high magic and murder to create a highly original psychological thriller.

Gabriel Blackstone is a cool, hip, thoroughly twenty-first century Londoner with an unusual talent. A computer hacker by trade, he is also a remote viewer: able to 'slam a ride' through the minds of others.

But he uses his gift only reluctantly ― until he is contacted by an ex-lover who begs him to find her step-son, last seen months earlier in the company of two sisters.

And so Gabriel visits Monk House, a place where time seems to stand still, and where the rooms are dominated by the coded symbol of a cross and circle.

As winter closes in, Gabriel becomes increasingly bewitched by the house, and by its owners, the beautiful and mysterious Monk sisters. But even as he falls in love, he knows that one of them is a killer.

Ok so.. synopsis-wise, it is pretty catchy. I got it from netgalley because of the cover, which promises supernatural witchy thing.. which is one of my fave. Witches. I don't know, I feel like witch genres will totally kick-ass and equals to fights and abrakadabras.

The thing is, I am pretty 50/50 with this book. It has some good and bad points. With the characters, the Monk sisters are really interesting. They both have the same name starting with M(which confused me sometimes).Both are beautiful in their own way, different in interests, both mysterious. The bad point is the boy MC. Gabriel, sadly doesn't resonates to me. He's a weak point in this book. At first he appeared to be smart and capable. But the character progression is slow although i get the falling-n love part when he's so vulnerable.

It surprises me that the history appeared at the later part of the book. My brows were drawn--thinking about it. I think the part about the sisters' mother is so unnecessary.

It was a drag in so many ways. The book might as well be amazing in the investigative part, but it didn't. Might be in the romance, but I saw a blur(and there are 3 girls there, mind you). The tragic deaths are irritating. On the brighter side, I got a little shocks to some mysteries being fathomed. I also liked the alchemical, psychic and memory portal elements of the story.

The premise i can see was intelligently planned. The ending might had came from somewhere because as it said, it's a love story so i thought might as well, he courted the mother in the park. Obviously, it is a major what-the-ef for me, but i'll get over it.

I'll get over it.